Benchmarks on Demand User Guide
APQC Benchmarks on Demand User’s Guide
Benchmarks on Demand Tool
The Benchmarks on Demand tool is a completely automated, online tool to help you support decisions and build a business case for improvement with access to instant benchmark reports. You have two options in selecting benchmark reports—you may either choose a packaged report containing performance metrics that have been hand-selected by APQC analysts or browse available metrics to build your own report. Once your desired metrics are chosen, you can select relevant peer groups (industry, organization size, and geography) and receive your report. You do not have to provide your organization’s performance data to receive these reports.
APQC Open Standards Benchmarking
The benchmark and comparison data provided in your report leverages the more than 1,200 performance measures stored in APQC’s Open Standards Benchmarking database. These benchmarks span multiple business functions and were compiled based on more than 7,000 global survey submissions.
The Process Classification FrameworkSM
Benchmark packages in the Benchmarks on Demand tool were created and organized based on APQC’s Process Classification FrameworkSM (PCF). Created in collaboration with expert and practitioner panels in 1992 and updated annually, the PCF is a globally recognized business process model that defines activities and processes across 12 enterprise-level operating and management categories.
APQC member offering
The Benchmarks on Demand tool is an APQC service included with the purchase of an APQC process-area or enterprise membership. Organizations that are professional services firms or are not members of APQC are invited to either purchase the benchmarks or consider joining APQC. Please visit the APQC membership sectionfor more information about how to become a member. If you are a professional services firm, please contact Cathy Hill at email@example.com +1-713-685-4652 (direct) to discuss APQC’s custom Benchmarks on Demand service offering.
The Benchmarks on Demand tool resides in APQC’s Benchmarking Portal. Full access to the portal is granted only to APQC members that have created a personal profile on the APQC Web site, and limited access is available to nonmembers. If you are an APQC member and have not created your profile, please register(LINK). If you are not an APQC member, you may access public areas of the portal by registering on the Web site(LINK).
Once registered, follow these simple steps to receive your benchmark report:
- Visit the APQC Benchmark Portal
- Choose Benchmarks on Demand tool from the Benchmarking Tools menu on the left
- Choose whether you want to create a report based on a pre-packaged set of measures or if you wish to customize the list of measures on your own.
- Choose your topic area of interest to view the available measure packages in each area. Available packages are based on your membership type.
- Select your measure package based on the information you’re seeking (see description below).
- Select your peer groups.
- Receive and review your report.
Selecting measure packages
Available measure packages are organized via APQC’s Process Classification Framework (PCF), measure category (cost effectiveness, cycle time, staff productivity, process efficiency, and supplemental information), and even by customized packages with measures hand-picked by APQC’s expert analysis staff.
Benchmark options begin at the highest level, the Category (Finance & Accounting, Human Resources, Supply Chain, etc.), and then narrow to Process Groups.
- Category: Finance & Accounting
- Process Group: Planning and Management Accounting
Select the measure package for the area that best describes the level of processes you want to view benchmarks in, and preview a description of your selected package that includes what the report will tell you and the number of measures reported.
Where to go from here
Your Benchmarks on Demand report will provide you quantitative data for the peer groups you’ve selected. You will be able to review performance metrics for top, median, and bottom performers.
In addition to the report, you can receive information and resources by…
- Visiting the Knowledge Base where you can access best practice reports, case studies, articles, white papers, tools, and templates to aid in your process improvement efforts.
- Asking APQC’s team of analysts and subject matter experts your business process questions through the members-only Ask Us! service—you will receive a customized response featuring relevant APQC resources as well as personal commentary.
- Searching the APQC member directory to find other members that are facing the same challenges as you and learn from their experiences.
- Finding an upcoming APQC event that relates to your selected topic area and hear an experts’ view of the issues surrounding your area.
- Participating in APQC’s research offerings such as our Open Standards Benchmarking or our Rapid Performance Assessments to determine where your organization stands relative to its peers.