Confronting stressors: It’s just part of the job description for any healthcare worker in 2015. Each day this year, healthcare workers will be:
- complying with regulations new and old,
- offering patient care that is both low-cost and high-quality,
- performing well amidst critical talent shortages, and
- adopting new, digitally-enhanced work processes.
In this type of environment, is it even possible to build a positive employee experience? At the 13 healthcare companies on the 2015 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list, it is. And, their employment practices can help other healthcare companies do the same.
In analyzing the healthcare companies making the 2015 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list, Great Place to Work® Institute uncovered four common strategies for success at the top healthcare workplaces.
- Foster communication and transparency between employees and leaders. Scripps Health managers and employees use an interactive visual communications map to guide them in discussions regarding organizational changes.
- Promote employee health and wellness. OhioHealth provides programs and resources to help employees with inactivity, obesity, stress, and smoking, ultimately positioning employees to feel their best when caring for patients.
- Include employees in change and cost-cutting measures so changes get incorporated into how work gets done. Southern Ohio Medical Center involves all employees in discussions about how to tackle financial challenges.
- Connect people to purpose—allow employees to do good and find meaning in their work. Atlantic Health System shares progress on patient quality and satisfaction measures as a way to recognize employees’ hard work.
See the full list of healthcare companies on the 2015 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For® list below. Read more industry insights about the top workplaces in the Great Place to Work® analysis: “Industry-Specific Strategies of Winning Companies.” And, check out these free healthcare industry resources from non-profit benchmarking and best practices organization APQC.
- State of Leadership in the Healthcare Industry (Infographic)
- How Smart Leaders Leverage and Grow Experts in the Healthcare Industry (Infographic)
- Healthcare Industry Convergence (Webinar)
- Leveraging the Process Framework to Simplify Industry Complexity (Webinar)