The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation established an enterprise project management office (EPMO) in 2013 to provide portfolio management and governance, project management support services, and insights for decision makers. This case study looks at how the EPMO uses an enterprise-wide portfolio management process to ensure that each project is aligned with the organization's priorities and strategic objectives, as well as:
- establish a consistent approach across the organization;
- enable project prioritization, management, and sequencing based on value and risk;
- manage resource restraints and regulatory requirements;
- create transparency on project status; and
- enable the capture of lessons learned and process improvements across the organization.